For a high-protein, low-carb dinner recipe you can make in under 30 minutes, you’ll want to make this Cilantro Lime Tilapia with Avocado Pico de Gallo. It checks off all the right boxes: low calorie, low carb, low fat, high protein, quick, easy. What more could you ask for? Oh yeah, it’s also fresh and delicious! Serve it with corn and quinoa like we did in the photo above for an even bigger nutrition boost! Step up your seafood game with this easy tilapia recipe.
Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 4-6 minutes
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon seasoned rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
4 (4 ounce) tilapia fillets
Avocado Pico de Gallo:
2 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
1/2 avocado, diced
1/4 cup diced red onion
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
salt, to taste
lime, to squeeze
1. In a medium-sized mixing bowl or shallow baking dish, combine the oil, rice wine vinegar, lime juice and cilantro.
2. Place the fillets in the marinade, and flip them over to coat both sides, then set aside while making the Avocado Pico de Gallo.
3. Combine the tomatoes, avocado, red onion and cilantro in a medium-sized mixing bowl and season with salt to taste.
4. Squeeze some fresh lime juice on the Pico for flavor and to keep the avocados from browning, then set aside.
5. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and remove the tilapia fillets from the marinade, allowing the excess to drip off. Discard the leftover marinade. Cook the fish in batches as to not crowd the skillet.
6. At this point, you may want to add an additional swirl of olive oil to your skillet, or spray with nonstick cooking spray. Cook the tilapia until the fish turns white and flakes easily, 2-3 minutes on each side. The fish will be tender and might tear when flipping it. Use a flexible fish spatula for best results.
7. Serve with 1/2 cup of the Avocado Pico de Gallo, with extra cilantro and lime wedges if desired.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size:1 Tilapia fillet with 1/2 cup Avocado Pico de Gallo
Calories 193 | Fat 9g | Carbohydrate 5g | Fiber 4g | Sugar 2g | Protein 24g